Don’t miss the great article in the new Fortune magazine about Mars – Inside Mars, one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For, by David A. Kaplan.
Here’s what I find interesting:
- Mars’ headquarters is in McLean, Virginia, the DC suburb where I live. But only 80 employees work there – the entire company employs 72,000 around the world at 400 offices and manufacturing sites.
- Mars is the third largest private company in the world. They sold $33 billion worth of candy, pet and human food last year.
- The entire company is owned by the 3 children of Forrest Mars Sr. and they live extremely private lives.
- The company has 11 brands that bring in more than a billion a year.
- The company encourages community involvement and in 2011, 9,600 employees volunteered 37,000 hours at 290 organizations.
The employees featured in the article seem to genuinely love working for Mars even though they all have to punch a time clock, taking a 10% cut in pay if they are late.
Mars doesn’t have a very public profile in McLean, but again they only have 80 employees here.
My favorite Mars product is Peanut M&M.
Congratulations to Mars!